Software Developer - Education Services
Macmillan Education strives to provide the highest quality books, tools and content for students around the world. Macmillan Education is a division of Springer Nature and is closely supported by our teams at Springer Nature Digital.
There are about 230 of us in Springer Nature Digital, across London, Berlin, Lisbon, and Pune. We work in collaborative, multi-disciplinary delivery teams, developing digital products and services that answer user problems and support business goals.
We are looking to open to applications in either London or Lisbon
The work is interesting and meaningful.
Our culture is collaborative and friendly.
We encourage and support growth, both personal and professional.
This is a terrific opportunity for friendly, inquisitive people who want to get involved in our work, who love to learn, who will embrace and develop our culture, and help make SND Lisbon a place where people and ideas can thrive.
We are intentionally looking to create teams that are diverse and inclusive. Diversity is the mix of culture, background, experience and personality that we all bring;
inclusion is getting the mix to work better together. We want every member of our teams to contribute to our common goals while respecting each other's skills, knowledge and needs.
Visit sndigital.springernature.com to learn more about who we are and what we do.
About The Job
The team is responsible for the services that handle all institution, user, class and subscription management which allow our users access to educational content.
The services are used by all Macmillan Education products reaching hundreds of thousands of students monthly in schools all around the world.
We strive to continually improve user journeys; allowing customers to discover, access, and consume content in a way that suits them.
Our customer-centric approach is fundamental to the way we work.
We also work closely with partners across the organisation to evolve our content and business models; keeping us competitive in a rapidly changing digital landscape.
You will be joining a cross functional team with different nationalities, backgrounds and experience levels. All team members collaborate to deliver solutions that best satisfy the needs of our customers.
- An experienced developer using .NET core / .NET Framework (C#).
- Have knowledge of a variety of tools to help you in your work, such as automated testing, relational / NoSQL databases, and transport protocols.
- Have a problem-solving mind-set.
- Have experience of working in an agile environment, XP techniques, and Continuous Delivery.
- Consider yourself a generalist and can pick the right tool for the job.
- Enjoy working in Linux, Windows and Mac OS environments.
- Believe in teams having both control over and responsibility for their applications.
- Are passionate in your work and love to share your ideas with your team.
- Keep up to date with technology trends and believe in life-long learning.
- May have had experience of developing microservices deployed into the cloud..
What you will be doing
- Deliver quality software according to specification and the correct procedures in line with technical and business objectives.
- Help to create web services that offer the best experience to their users.
- Contribute ideas to the team that will help in the design and development of our products.
- Contribute to every step of the delivery process and take ownership for what you build.
- Collaborate and work closely with analysts, designers, testers, operations, and product owners, in a diverse and informal environment.
- Help coach junior developers.
Day to day responsibilities
As part of an Agile product team, day-to-day you will :
- Take part in our Slack daily stand-ups.
- Contribute to ceremonies like planning, story writing, collaborative design and retrospectives.
- Develop new features and improve code quality by pair programming with other team members.
- Take part in support and monitoring of our websites.
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and cover letter, stating your salary expectations.
SPRINGER NATURE - springernature.com
Springer Nature employs more than 10,000 people in over 50 markets, and is home to some of the best-known names in research, educational and professional publishing.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive.
Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Working at the heart of a changing industry, we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return, we provide opportunities to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that encourages curiosity and empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
In addition, we offer :
Food allowance, € 7,63 EUR per working day via meal card
10% time, or hack day’
Access to LinkedIn Learning via our internal learning and development platform
Free access to all SN Publications
Private health insurance for you and your partner and children if applicable Medis TOP + serious illnesses
Personal accidents insurance for you
Possibility of 4 day per week working from home
Travel costs for commute card up to max. € 40 per month
INTERVIEW / HIRING PROCESS DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
To protect our candidates’ and interviewers’ health and wellbeing, all interviews will be on the phone and / or via video conferencing applications.
If you are chosen to be interviewed, we’ll get in touch with the details.
If you are successful and are offered a position, we understand that you may wish to delay your start date; we are happy to be flexible and work with you on what suits you best.
For now, all roles will be remote, but will move onsite when restrictions are lifted.
We have put in place a remote onboarding process to ensure new starters have all the equipment, knowledge and contacts they need to be able to start their new career.
You will have a dedicated contact during the recruitment process whom you can contact with any questions on this.